Country Profile

Dubai 2015 Country Profile

Continued recovery from the effects of the 2008 global financial crisis has set Dubai on a robust growth path moving forward. Dubai’s population stood at 2.27m as of mid-2014, and as of the end of 2012, Emiratis made up around 11% of the population, while expatriates accounted for the remaining 89%. The emirate is pushing ahead with efforts to develop sharia-compliant industries in the region, with plans for support services, start-up incubators and halal clusters supporting a positive mid-term growth forecast. In 2014 Dubai reinforced its reputation for ground-breaking initiatives with the launch of Dubai Smart City, a plan designed to make it a leading, global smart city. Elsewhere, strengthening GCC-Asia relations are expected to result in the expansion of trade links between the two regions.

This chapter contains a viewpoint from Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai; and interviews with Abdul Latif Al Zayani, Secretary-General, GCC; and Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum, Chairman, Dubai Expo 2020 Preparatory Higher Committee.

Share
Cover of The Report: Dubai 2015

The Report

This chapter is from the UAE: Dubai 2015 report. Explore other chapters from this report.

Interviews & Viewpoints

Sketch of Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum, Chairman, Dubai Expo 2020 Preparatory Higher Committee
Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum, Chairman, Dubai Expo 2020 Preparatory Higher Committee: Interview

Covid-19 Economic Impact Assessments

Stay updated on how some of the world’s most promising markets are being affected by the Covid-19 pandemic, and what actions governments and private businesses are taking to mitigate challenges and ensure their long-term growth story continues.

Register now and also receive a complimentary 2-month licence to the OBG Research Terminal.

Register Here×

Product successfully added to shopping cart