On Friday the 12th November 2010 the Islamic Finance news Roadshow, now in its 3rd year, will visit London, United Kingdom. The Roadshow series is set to offer participants a comprehensive industry insight through a series of events in key developing Islamic financial markets.
The IFN 2010 Roadshow will visit 17 cities across Asia, Africa, the Middle East, North America and Europe.
The Roadshow is designed as a comprehensive one-day event, consisting of plenary sessions, presentations and keynote addresses.
London has for a long time been considered by many global institutions as a major financial center, and it is only natural for Islamic finance to finds its place within, both the retail and wholesale sides.
The UK is fairly developed in most aspects of Islamic finance, whether you talk of mortgage or securities, and is oftentimes referred to as the Islamic finance gateway to Europe.
The last five years have seen significant development as more Islamic finance products and service providers have entered the UK market. With a growing Muslim population, of 2.5 million Muslims, 50% of whom reside in the city of London, Islamic financial products are not wont for a ready market.
There are currently 17 leading banks including Barclays, The Royal Bank of Scotland Lloyds and HSBC which have set up special branches or subsidiary firms for the Islamic space. In addition, there are 55 colleges and professional institutions offering education in Islamic finance in the UK, a figure higher than anywhere else in the world.
It is significant that UK Shariah compliant banks are not only driven by the Muslim population in the UK, but from all walks of life from the GCC countries, Malaysia, Brunei, Singapore, Indonesia, South Africa and Turkey to name but a few.
Key focus areas include:
• Session One: CEO Session: Islamic Finance: Where are We Now?
• Session Two: UK and the Islamic Financial Markets
• Presentation: Raja Teh Maimunah - Global Head Islamic Markets, Bursa Malaysia
• Session Three: Islamic Products: What Can and Can’t be Done?
• Presentation: An Update on the London Stock Exchange's Markets for Islamic Finance Gillian Walmsley - Head of Fixed Income Products, London Stock Exchange
• Session Four: Issuing and Investing in the Islamic Financial Markets
• Session Five: Closing Round-table Examining market trends, challenges, and further opportunities for Islamic financial markets