When FLNG comes on-stream in 2016, Asia will be its biggest market! That’s what 100 key FLNG companies indicated in a recent Energy IQ survey. The survey also revealed:
- 2011 is the year that investment & interest in FLNG will rekindle.
- 84% see Asia as the biggest market for future FLNG supplies.
- Demand growth would be driven largely by China and India.
- Recovering economies of Japan, South Korea and Taiwan will also contribute to demand.
- Emerging LNG demand in Bangladesh, Pakistan, Thailand, Singapore and the Philippines will further bolster the demand for FLNG in Asia Pacific.
Yet with 5 years to go to FLNG’s roll-out, the surveyed companies highlighted several significant roadblocks, spanning financing, risk management, no proven commercial viability, no HSE best practices, lack of qualified personnel, unproven technologies, ‘marinization’ and many others.